Gallstones can be incredibly painful and problematic. To treat gallstones naturally, simply call our clinic to find out how acupuncture can help. In many cases a detoxification or purification program is necessary to balance the organs of digestion and help stop the body from forming gall stones. When the liver is producing bile normally and the gall bladder is storing the bile effectively, and when food choices are easy to digest, gallstones will be prevented.
Most people would prefer to try acupuncture for gallstones rather than having surgery. In some cases, I use acupuncture to help a person release a gallstone.
Gallstones and Acupuncture
Acupuncture is very helpful for gallstones and helps the gall bladder and liver to regain a natural balance. Chinese medicine and Chinese herbal medicine have been used effectively for thousands of years to treat gallstones.
Chinese medicine expert Subhuti Dharmananda recommends the following protocol for helping to alleviate gallstones:
- A diet and exercise program that emphasizes a low fat, high fiber diet and regular daily exercise. For obese patients, a carefully monitored diet with appropriate caloric controls should have a goal of gradual weight loss of not more than 2 pounds per week on average. A digestive enzyme preparation that includes ox bile and lipase may be used to help treat symptoms of poor fat digestion.
- A regular meal schedule that encourages the gallbladder to fill completely between meals. This means minimizing snacking (which is an approach contrary to some dietary recommendations for managing eating disorders and some other health problems).
- Daily consumption of stone dissolving substances, including the “three golds” and, if possible, bile salts.
- Consumption of moderate amounts of coffee (with or without caffeine) and/or other herbs that promote bile flow (mainly herbs that treat qi stagnation and damp-heat).
- Acupuncture therapy to regulate circulation of qi, purge the gallbladder, and alleviate pain in the gallbladder region.
- A gallstone purging therapy to eliminate stones that have a diameter of less than 1 cm, to be taken over a period of several days. This therapy would include rhubarb and mirabilitum.
To learn more about acupuncture and gall stones, and acupuncture and gallbladder health, call (828) 254-4405.